My friend asked me to knit two identical vests for her boys. ‘It’s time to try the Entrelac!’ – I thought to myself. It gives warmth and cosiness to the garment and that is what I needed.
- Pure Merino 600 g. (300 g. blue, 300 g. green);
- Bamboo knitting needles 4.00 mm;
- Buttons: 4 wooden (2 blue, 2 green), 4 plastic (as reinforced buttons);
- Piece of jeans.
So, firstly I knitted front sides of both of the vests. Usually I knit back side first, but in this case I started with the front, because I didn’t know how much wool requires for this pattern. I checked in one of my knitting books how to knit Entrelac, and I also found those grate video tutorials that shows how to knit it:
Part one – Bottom Triangles:
Part Two – Left Edge Triangle:
Part Three – Wrong Side Rectangles:
Part Four – Right Edge Triangles:
Part Five – Right Side Rectangles:
Part Six – Top Triangles:
I made V-neck because it seemed the least difficult way to make with Entrelac and also it suits perfect for the boys’ garments.
And it took me few times to make arm holes right and at the end I did it :).
After I finished front sides, I realised I haven’t got enough wool to knit Entrelac back sides. So, I knitted back sides with Stockinette Stitch.
Then I sewed it (left only half of both vests’ left shoulders to have an extra space), collected the stitches of neck line and arm hole and knitted few rows with Stockinette Stitch.
Knitted neck line and arm hole
I divided neck line into two parts because of the V-neck. So, after I knitted the neck (of two parts) I stitched these parts one to another. When all the knitting were done and wool were gone, I weaved in ends.
All remaining wool
And my last step was to make 2 straps on the left shoulders in case boys will need some extra space. I cut 2 rectangles of 6×9 cm and 7×9 cm from jeans.
7×9 cm and 6×9 cm rectangles
Then I fold them vertically and sewed around leaving one edge not sewed for turning inside out.
I snipped corners of each rectangle, turned it inside out and stitched the gap with ladder stitch.
Next, I sewed one buttonhole on each straps and cut them from both ends toward the middle.
After the straps were done, I attached one of them on the back side with sewing on the button. Also I sewed one more button on the front side to button up the strap.
To protect the knitwear I sewed on reinforced buttons, which were stitched with the same threat as wooden buttons on the wrong side.
And my first Entrelac project was done.
Entrelac vests – front
Entrelac vests – back
Entrelac vests – strap